Thursday, September 24, 2009

POUND CAKE

Old Fashioned Pound Cake

Ingredients:
Shortening --------- 230 g
(it can be substituted with same amt of butter)
Butter ------------- 230 g
Sugar -------------- 460 g
Salt ---------------- 5 g
Vanilla ------------- 10 g
Lemon Extract -----10 g
Whole Eggs --------- 500 g
Bread Flour --------- 230 g
Pastry Flour -------- 230 g
Baking Power ------- 5 g
Loaf cake pan ------- 2

1. Grease the loaf cake pans
2. Cream the shortening, butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and lemon extract into the mixing bowl until light and fluffy, around 5-10 mins, scape the bowl
3. Beat in the eggs ..ONE BY ONE, scape the bowl
4. Sift the flour and baking powder
5. Add the flour mixture into the batter until it incorporated well, make sure to scape the bowl
6. Divide the batter into 2 cake pans, bake @ 325F for around 40 mins
7. Remove the cakes from pan and let it cool on the cooling racks.

The Cut-out View of my first Pound Cake

On the Left - Old Fashion Pound Cake - it turns out really GOOD
Two on the right -High Ratio Pound Cake (with Chocolate) -FAILURE
( this is the result if you didn't measure your ingredients ...)



Last nite was my first day of baking classes...and we made Old-Fashioned Pound Cake and sth called HigH Ration Pound Cake (which is high in FAT~~)....I would say it was a fun experience overall...people were dressing like a Pro, with the whole chef outfit from head to toe...the teachers were okay...but, there was one thing that trigger me the most and it was something called the "buddy system".... it means that we all have to pair up with another person whom we've just met 5 minutes ago.......to me.....working with a stranger is fine...HOWEVER, not in BAKING!! or COOKING !! and I guess a lot of people will agree with me that cooking is a very very very ''personal'' thing that I just cannot make my cake with other people (whom I know nth about him/her, except their names)...I would consider myself as a "friendly' or 'flexible" person...but, when it comes to Baking, I can be so rigid that I cannot compromise with others who do not feel like to measure the flour..butter...sugar etc... precisely..............

To conclude, I believe baking is just like writing a journal that you would never write it with some body else....right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment